Monday, January 08, 2007

Sure Sign that You're a Hopeless Nerd

Every year, the night before the first day of school found me lying in bed until 2 0r 3 in the morning, unable to sleep because I was so excited about getting to go to class and meet my teacher and get assignments and write in my new notebook with my new pencils. This continued into college and grad school--I remember being excited at the beginning of every quarter in grad school about getting new purple pens and yellow legal pads. Fast forward to the present day--I am currently fighting off sleep because I was up until 2 this morning giddily anticipating the first day of classes. The sad part is that when I actually do get to school on the first day (as student and now as a teacher), anxiety sets in. Will my students like me? Will this class go well? Am I even smart enough to do this job? Everything always turns out well. The anxiety doesn't last very long at all. It would be nice, though, to get a good night's sleep before classes start.

No comments: