Sunday, May 10, 2009

Star Trek is Made of Win!

In rare instance of the universe arranging itself so that Brian and I could see not one, but *two* movies in one week without having to pay a babysitter, we managed to see both Wolverine and Star Trek. And while I enjoyed Wolverine a great deal (Hugh Jackman is amazing, and sexy as hell, as Wolverine and that guy whol played Gambit wasn't bad either), Star Trek rocked my socks. Brian and I are both Trek fans (though I've never seen an episode of the original series) and were super-excited to see this. (side note: Brian proposed to me after we saw the first Next Generation movie, so Trek has a special place in our hearts.) It was satisfying both for people who know Trek and got all the inside jokes (don't listen to the haters who are saying the film monkeys with canon; the movie does fool with canon, but in crazy delightful ways that make my fangirl heart really happy) and for people who've never seen anything Trek related before now.

I don't want to give anything away (so, if like me, you hate any kind of spoilers, stop reading now), but my very favorite part of the movie is the fact, despite the marketing campaign's suggestion otherwise, Uhura is not, in fact, the ultimate prize for the alpha white male. Kirk doesn't win her as a reward for his aggression and general disregard for the rules. Something much better than that happens. But you'll just have to see it to find out what that is.

7 comments:

claire said...

I stopped reading! Did you go to the Hippodrome and win a free lifetime ticket? Were people wearing spock ears? I won;t let Adam see it until he watches at least one Trek movie. But I can;t wait!

Conseula said...

We didn't go to the Hippodrome, so no Spock ears. You should let him go without seeing old Trek. It works perfectly well without knowing anything about Trek (though much better if you do know something) and I think old Trek will just read hokey to him. You should do new Trek and then old Trek.

Anonymous said...

I saw it at the Hippodrome...didn't know about the lifetime ticket contest, so bummer. But I did see someone dressed in a TNG Captain's uniform.

Claudia said...

Love this review! Have you seriously NEVER seen an episode of the original series?

Conseula said...

I was a religious watcher of Next Generation, loved Enterprise right up until the very last episode, suffered through season 1 of Voyager, have seen all the TNG movies, bit no, I have never seen one episode or a single movie with the original crew. Brian loves the original series, but it always looked hokey and Kirk is nowhere near as pretty as Picard or Archer.

claire said...

OK -- now I read the Uhura comment --yes! Loved that he did not win her and loved loved loved the relationship she did have. Now I want to rewatch some of the original and imagine that reality in it (although I am now confused about time/space -- we can now have a whole new set of Star Treks based on this reality, yes? And now we can have an alternate Picard perhaps?

And is the idea that the slug ate through Pike's brainstem and that is why he was in a wheelchair??

Conseula said...

Yes--we can have all new stories with the original crew, and, presumably, an all new Picard. And yeah, whatever they did to Pike on Nero's ship caused him to be in a wheelchair (though I don't know if it was the slug necessarily).